- 16 oz butter beans or pinto beans, undrained
- 16 oz crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups converted rice, uncooked
- 1 chopped large onion and 1/2 chopped green pepper
- 1 small can of chopped mild green chiles, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1-1/2 cups water or chicken broth or a vegetable broth
- Several cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- Sliced Polska sausage or turkey kielbasa, as much as you like
- Parsley, to taste
- Mrs. Dash Original salt free seasoning or Chipotle Salt Free Seasoning to taste or your own choice to season
Add all ingredients and stir in a large crock pot or multi cooker set to crockpot setting.
Turn your cooker on and simply cook until all the water is absorbed in the rice is cooked and each grain is tender.
Mine took about 2 hours to 3, but it will vary in your cooker, so just keep your eye on it and as soon as the rice is cooked in just shut it off or you can leave it on warm. When you leave the slow cooker on warm you risk for your cooking and you don’t want the rice to become like mush.
what’s great about this recipe is it’s really versatile and you can out all kinds of flavorings to it or vegetables, change the kind of stock you use and for the one and a half cups of liquid you can combine that with tomato sauce or enchilada sauce to make a Mexican type of rice.
I picked up my chicken at Walmart after it just came out of the oven and just broke it up into a lot of pieces.
You’ll have so much chicken from the rotisserie that you might save some for chicken salad sandwiches and other dishes and simply freeze it.
Or you can add all of the chicken with all of the sliced or chopped sausage for something reminiscent of paella or jambalaya. You can add shrimp to the rice as well, or substitute the shrimp for the sausage.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I have.
This is a great dish to make when you’re busy.
You could stir in pico de gallo in place of the peppers and onion if you were really busy.
Recipe by Paulette Motzko.
January 16th 2018. 8:31 p.m.
Yes, you can go meatless one day a week
- 4 cups Bob’s Red Mill old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup sliced untoasted almonds
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup orange flower honey
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil, or canola oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Touch of ground cinnamon to suit your liking
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract like Watkins.
Bake a total of 1 hour at 300 degrees, setting your timer for 15 minutes and stirring every 15 minutes.
After the last 15 minutes take the lasagna sized pan out of the oven and set on a trivet.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup untoasted sliced almonds
Recipe & photos by Paulette Motzko.
January 2018. 4:21 pm.