What do you get when you take all the ingredients that would have gone into a caprese appetizer-fresh basil, heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and pesto..
Add some organic focaccia bread from Whole Foods Market and you get a delicious and easy vegetarian sandwich that everyone will be impressed with!
The cable guy who hooked up my friend’s cable-had a big smile on his face and said they smelled great…so I gave him one and I got The Food Network for Christmas. So nice to see cable after a year here with my friend.
Take some fresh foccacia bread-Whole Foods Market makes two long loaves for under $4.
The freshest most ripe tomatoes you can find
Fresh basil-I got some organic basil at Whole Foods with the biggest leaves I ever saw
Ciba Pesto from Whole Foods Market
How to Assemble the Caprese Sandwich:
1. Slice the bread to split in half and then cut the width of the sandwich you want
2. Spread pesto on the bread slices
3. Slice some mozzarella thinly and put over the bread
4. Slice a tomato and put the slice next to the cheese slices
5. Top with a large basil leaf
6. Drizzle with more pesto
Makes a pretty red and green festive appetizer when cut in smaller pieces for Christmas.
December 16th, 2013