It’s wonderful whole grain bread was made with a homemade mix that only involves four ingredients, that you can make yourself at home very easily. To make the hot roll mix simply take 5 lb of a combination of organic whole–wheat flour and organic unbleached all–purpose flour.
(Or the equivalent of 10 cups of 100% whole wheat flour and unbleached all–purpose flour.
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons salt
One cup instant nonfat dry milk or instant buttermilk powder
Keep in a 22 cup airtight canister and store in your cool pantry.
The Bread How To:
The fail proof way to make sure your bread rises if using active dry yeast and bread machine yeast or the instant dry yeast that’s fast acting,
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water. When it starts to bubble add the eggs, water, and oil and blend well.
- Add the hot roll mix one cup at a time, until the dough is firm but not too dry. Your bread will be dry if your dough is dry, so just rather than add the full 7 cups of flour, just touch it and feel does it feel moist to the touch and is it firm on your hand? That’s the best way judging. Rather than cook Buy wrote recipes use them as a guideline, and then know what the dough feels like in your hand and that is your best guide.
- Knead with a dough hook on a KitchenAid or heavy duty mixer or with your hands for about 7 minutes.
- Greece the receptacle that you will be using to rise your bread dough with some non stick non aerosol canola oil spray. I found a really nice one from 365 Organics, which is Whole Foods Market’s brand.
- Let the dough rise- for about an hour- until doubled in bulk, whenever that is.
- Punch down the dough and then let stand 10 minutes and then shape into 2 loaves.
- Let rise again until each loaf reaches the top of the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes until a nice deep golden brown.
My neighbor John and Shae and their family really enjoyed the loaf I gave them.
Honey Light Wheat Bread
2 1/4 teaspoons Fleischmann’s Instant Dry Yeast ( when using the “instant dry yeast” there’s no need to proof the yeast in water before you baked you can add it directly to your dry ingredients)
1 cup lukewarm water 110 degrees Fahrenheit
Two beaten eggs
1 cup water
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
Six and a half to 7 Cups of the Whole Grain Hot Roll Mix
Recipes adapted by Paulette Motzko from Make a Mix Cookbook by Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward and Madeline Westover.
How to make Cinnamon Raisin Honey Wheat Bread simply add one cup or more raisins and up to a tablespoon of freshly ground cinnamon to the dough.