This recipe makes a flavorful side dish that goes together easily and it’s nice to present as a gift to someone who likes curries.
This makes 6 servings.
- 1 and 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup dried chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder or more
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- Combine the rice, onion, salt, spices and pepper. Put in a decorator container and cover lightly.
- Package the cherries and almonds in their own little pocket and give the rice mixture, perhaps all together with some Raffia ribbon in a basket.
- To make the peel off, first preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large oven safe dish.
- Saute the rice mixture gently in the oil until the rice is opaque, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- At three and a half cups chicken or vegetable stock, preferably homemade or a good quality one.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Cover the dish, ticket off the heat, and put in the preheated oven.
- Bake for an hour to 75 minutes, until the rice is done.
- Stir in the cherries, replace the lid and then turn the oven off, and let that peel off sit in there for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the almonds over the top and serve.
This is being awesome dish to serve with curried chicken or create your own vegetarian variation.
This recipe came from Paulette Motzko Cook Book Collection from the book Gifts From Your Kitchen by Susan Frick Karlman.
December 18th 2017. 2:17 p.m.