- 1 cup Uncle Ben’s converted long grain rice uncooked
- 3 cups water or stock
- 3 envelopes of Starkist low sodium tuna that’s very high in protein 17g
- 2 slices of organic white cheddar or shredded or the cheese of your choice*
- 1 cup 2% milk or the *milk of your choice
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan margarine spread or butter/ margarine if you prefer.
- Green beans, because that is the vegetable of choice I had around the house , and I need to go to to the store the produce department really bad! But if I could put anything I wanted in and I would put broccoli.
- You can also add any vegetable you want here and it whatever amount you want.
- Garlic salt to taste
- Parsley to taste
- Mrs. Dash garlic herb salt-free seasoning
- Dried minced onion
Big Helpful Hint:
Anytime a recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup or cream of whatever soup, instead of adding the high sodium high fat variety, all you have to do is this instead.
You can control more what you eat by making a white sauce or a roux of 3 tablespoons all–purpose flour and 3 tablespoons of butter. In my case I’m using Earth Balance vegan margarine spread. Because I like it and has a lot of good things in it like omega-3 fatty acids for my body and makes me feel better and has a way lower fat content in butter, it’s not saturated.
Simply melt over medium-low heat the margarine and then add in the flour, gently string with a whisk.
Once the milk is heated and the flour is distributed throughout the sauce thickening it, then add the cheese, shredded or slices work well.
It will melt fast anyways long as you keep stirring it and don’t walk away from it whatever you do as it will burn and scorch!
Then and however much you want of your vegetable, be it broccoli, celery would be a good choice, mushrooms, whatever you like. Make it your own.
Add that to the white sauce/cheddar mixture and pour into your crock pot.
Add in the uncooked rice and all the other ingredients and then set your Crock-Pot to cook for 4 hours at normal temperature, which is about 300 degrees I believe. When you’re using the Uncle Ben’s parboiled converted rice, you’ll want to check to see if the rice is done after 2 hours. From there you can simply turn the cooker on warm and then add your vegetables in the other ingredients you want.
You can vary this all different ways and have fun with it. I made a chicken one last week and loved it! I ate every day and it was awesome and I had to see the last serving go. Nothing was wasted and I was really happy.
When you live on your own and you’re making meals for one instead of a family, it’s hell to come up with things you don’t get sick of, when you don’t have a massive chest freezer or place to freeze food and stuff.
I hope you enjoy it I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I’m going to enjoy it and I hope you have fun playing around with it and creating your own variations.
Photos by Paulette Motzko.
This recipe was adapted by Paulette Motzko from Fix it and Forget it Lightly by Phyllis Pellman Good.
December 18th 2017. 1:50 p.m.