Recipe adapted by Paulette Motzko From Gifts From Your Kitchen by Susan Frick Carlman below.
This is one of the best rice dishes I’ve ever made my life I will say.
you can vary this in many different ways by the seasonings that you use, and in the nuts that you use to add crunch to the finished dish.
- 1-1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup dried chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries I used Craisins that were 50% less sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sliced almonds added to the top after the rice is cooked.
- 1/2 cup dehydrated vegetables I used Mother Earth Products dried vegetable soup mix.
- Simply mix all the dry ingredients together and then saute in a skillet for about five seven minutes in 2 tablespoons either grapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil.
- You can also store the dry mix in a jar and then all you have to do is just add 3–1/2 cups of water or stock of your choice and make it when you want which is really awesome to do, which is what I did.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.
- Top with sliced almonds or the nut of your choice. Pistachios would be another good substitution for the sliced almonds.
Recipe adapted by and images by