A delightful, dainty cup cake that has the added bonus of being fat free.
Serve on a platter or in a pretty bowl with hot tea or coffee.
- 7 large egg whites. I used 1box of Sunshine egg whites that I got at the 99 cent store and just reserved 9 tablespoons out of it in a cup that I would scramble for breakfast. Pour the rest of the container in your bowl to whip up. It’s much more efficient to just buy the egg whites than crack a bunch of Eggs only to have a bunch of egg yolks leftover!
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Rainbow confetti cake decor
- One teaspoon organic gluten-free vanilla. I used flavorganics which was not cheap but it was awesome the flavor is phenomenal. I found it on Amazon Prime.
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract, which gives it that classic “angel food cake aroma and flavor” I remember so well when my Nanny made them for us after church when I was growing up. How I miss those stellar times, but I will cherish those memories.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour folded in to the stiffly beaten egg white mixture.
- You will need a really good KitchenAid mixer or another sturdy mixer that really whips egg whites stiffly so they look like whip cream almost.
- I don’t know what other mixer to suggest other than KitchenAid; that’s the only one I’ve ever had, my ex-husband the rocket scientist bought mine back in 1986 and it still going strong!
- It’s amazing to see how fast the wire whip with whips them on Speed 8.
Once all of the flour is very gently folded into the egg white mixture, then put it into your desired cupcake pans.
Or you can bake the batter in a standard angel food cake pan or loaf pan.
You’ll simply have to alter the time you bake the cake, according to the size of the pan you make it in -naturally
I baked mine at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, and very gently open the oven door then checked with a toothpick. If it comes out clean the center, then the cake is done and then moved to cool.
Raspberry Angel Food Cake
Next time I’m going to try some sugar-free Torani syrup in mine to make some raspberry angel food cakes, by putting a few pumps of sugar-free raspberry Torani in the whipped angel food cake batter. I can also try some peach ones too and once the cakes are done I can put some fresh peaches on top.
Stories are never ending in my kitchen!